The Student News Site of Centerville Public School

The Coulee Chronicle

Dress Code

Controversial Issues: Dress Code

Dress Code is “a set of rules, usually written and posted, specifying the required manner of dress at a school, office, club, restaurant, etc.” (dictionary). Dress Code is everywhere, every place you go will have some form of dress code, especially in work environments. Dress code rules are necessary but seem a bit unnecessary sometimes, here are some examples of some people who have been sent home because their outfit was deemed “inappropriate.”

Maggie Sunseri and some other students that go, Rose Lynn, a high school student was sent home for wearing leggings, her principal said that her crotch wasn’t covered. (Jordi Lippe-McGraw). Gabrielle Sorto, from CNN, reports that Rose said, “So once again, society has failed to advocate young ladies, by confining them in a box, where they are stripped of their sense of self-respect and self-expression” (Sorto).

Maggie Sunseri and some other students that go to WCHS made a short documentary about the school dress code issues and uploaded it to YouTube. In this video they use one word to show how it makes girls feel, they then go through some dress codes and interview the principle (Shame: A Documentary on School Dress Code).

Stephanie Dunn was sent home for showing her collarbones, her mother was furious and posted about it on Facebook. “Parents are being called away from their important jobs and students are missing class time because they are showing their collarbones!! Something needs to change!!! said Stephanie’s mom”(The Independent News, Eun Kyung Kim).

This straight-A student was suspended for showing her collarbones and wasn’t able to graduate on time due to this issue (Tanya Mendis).

Those were only a few examples of the dress code and how it’s targeted towards women. In fact, when most of the women who were dress coded were told the reasoning behind it was because the males would be distracted. If the dress code is there for male’s sake then why is there also male dress code rules?

The Issue

Dress Code is an issue to many women and girls out there as they feel as if they are being shamed for being too “revealing”. One was told she wasn’t allowed to wear yoga pants because “the boys would get turned on and be embarrassed” said the principle.  At the time of this girl being told this, she was under 13 (Today, Parenting Team, CNN).

Is dress code targeted towards women?

“Dress Code is very clearly targeted at women for being “too revealing”, “inappropriate” and “not for work”. Principles and people in charge say their reasoning is because the men will get distracted,” the parents say.  If men are so distracted by, collarbones, leggings, and etc. “we should be teaching them to be respectful and such, Instead of taking time away from important classes and the parent’s jobs as well who have to leave work to come and pick them up.” says a mother (Kelly Wallace).

The last example showed this senior who was a straight-A student wasn’t able to graduate on time due to being suspended for showing collarbones. This clearly smart student who obviously worked hard in school if she had straight A’s wasn’t able to graduate because of an outfit choice. Its flat out wrong. We are always going to have some type of dress code rules, but why do the consequences have to be so severe?

Many people are against dress code, but there are some people who strongly believe it.  

Other Targets

Males were banned from schools due to the dress code as well, but it’s for being “too feminine”  like having long hair, wearing feminine clothes (like skinny jeans and skirts). One transgender student was being threatened with having his photo excluded for wearing a tuxedo to prom, this might have just been one school but things like this happen everywhere. African Americans are targeted for unacceptable hairstyles. One 12-year-old African American girl was threatened with expulsion for not cutting her naturally styled hair because it was a “distraction”(Laura Bates).

It’s clear that a few things need to change with dress code and sexism, people are being discriminated at young ages and can lead to multiple problems in the future. Nothing will change unless we start to. We can’t sit around and wait for someone else to come along and do it because we are the future generation and we need to make change where it is clearly needed.

References 

“Dress Code.” Dictionary.com, Dictionary.com, 9 Oct. 2017, 10:54, www.dictionary.com/browse/dress-code?s=t.

Lippe-McGraw, Jordi. “’You’ll Distract the Boys’: Teen Fights Back against School Dress Code.” TODAY.com, TODAY, 29 Dec. 2015, www.today.com/style/oklahoma-teen-fights-back-after-being-sent-home-school-wearing-t63881.

Buchanan, Rose Troup. “Teenage Girl Sent Home for Violating School Dress Code – by Showing Her Collarbones.” The Independent, Independent Digital News and Media, 20 Aug. 2015, www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-teenager-sent-home-for-violating-school-dress-code-by-showing-her-collarbones-10464020.html.

Wallace, Kelly. “Do School Dress Codes Body-Shame Girls?” CNN, Cable News Network, 30 May 2017, www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/health/school-dress-codes-body-shaming-girls-parenting/index.html.

Sorto, Gabrielle. “Gender-Equal Dress Codes: Students Call for Fairness.” CNN, Cable News Network, 25 Feb. 2016, www.cnn.com/2016/02/25/living/dress-code-protests-irpt/index.html.

“Shame: A Documentary on School Dress Code.” YouTube, YouTube, 29 May 2015, www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDgAZO_5U_U.

“Everyday Sexism Project: Dress Codes and Rape Culture.” Time, Time, 10 Oct. 2017, 10:32, time.com/3892965/everydaysexism-school-dress-codes-rape-culture/.

http://time.com/3892965/everydaysexism-school-dress-codes-rape-culture/