The Student News Site of Centerville Public School

The Coulee Chronicle

Dress Code: Good Idea or Bad Idea

Dorla Gittins, Reporter

There are many perspectives on dress code. Everyone sees it differently, here are some examples of dress code from different parts of the United States. For some people, mostly young women feel that the dress code is ridiculous. But, on the other hand, some people, mostly men, feel like it is needed. The definition of dress code is, a set of rules specifying the garb or type of clothing to be worn by a group or by people under specific circumstances (Dictionary.com).

Outrages dress code violations 2015, by Seventeen Magazine:

1. A junior at Fort Myers High School in Fort Myers, Florida, got punished for wearing a spaghetti strapped sundress at Ida S. Baker High, a school she doesn’t even go to.
  2. A graduating Senior at Westside High School in Dayton, Idaho, wore a dress that was mid-thigh on her last day of high school. She refused to change and a teacher threatened to hold her diploma.
  3. 25 girls were sent home by Murrieta High School in Murrieta California, for wearing shorts, low cut shirts, and short skirts in 90-degree weather.
  4. A girl at Winslow Township Elementary School No4. in Sicklerville, New Jersey, was sent home because she wore the wrong color green at a public.
  5. A girl at Oakleaf High School in Clay County, Florida, had to wear a “shame suit” for wearing a skirt that was almost knee length.
  6. Cops were called on a group of boys at Helena High School for protesting for a girl’s right to not wear a bra. A senior at Helena High School wore a t-shirt that was off the shoulder to school. She didn’t want her bra strap to show she put on nipple stickers. But the lack of a bra made students feel “uncomfortable”. She was asked to change, a group of boys then wore bras over their shirts to protest this.
  7. A girl at MacArthur High School in Lawton, Oklahoma, was sent home because her tank top didn’t cover her crotch while she was wearing a long cardigan, a tank top, leggings, and boots. The administrator’s office was worried that it would distract the male students.

These examples are explaining why some people, do not like dress codes. They show the negative side that most people like to talk about. It shows that some dress codes are sometimes, outrages.

Reasons Dress Code is Encouraged:

During research, it has been shown in a study, by Fresno Pacific University, dress code improves the students’ obedience. In 1996 President Clinton issued a statement encouraging the use of uniforms in school as an important part of an overall program. After this, the Department of Education decided to have guidelines to encourage all school systems and states to set up a dress code policy (Fresno Pacific University).

In conclusion, the dress code is still a problem now. There are various people in the United States have different views on dress code.

Resources:

University, Fresno Pacific. “Pros and Cons of School Dress Code.” Fresno Pacific University, Wayne Steffen, 11 Nov. 2007, www.fresno.edu/news/11/11/2007/pros-and-cons-school-dress-code

Orenstein, Hannah. “14 Most Outrageous Dress Code Scandals.” Seventeen, Seventeen, 15 July 2017, www.seventeen.com/life/school/a36027/most-shocking-dress-code-scandals-of-2015/

News, WINK. “Elected Positions Restored to Students Stripped of Titles for Wearing Spaghetti-Strap Dresses .” WINK NEWS, Wink News, 4 June 2015, www.winknews.com/2015/06/04/students-stripped-of-titles-for-wearing-spaghetti-strap-dresses-get-elected-positions-restored/

Valera, Dennis. “High School Senior’s Dress Code Violation Leads to Suspension.” KIFI, KIFI, 25 Aug. 2016, www.localnews8.com/news/kifi-top-story/high-school-seniors-dress-code-violation-leads-to-suspension/58468722

Downing, Brianti. “A High School Only Dress Coded Female Students During a Heat Wave.”Feather Magazine, Feminism, Your News, 18 June 2015, www.feather-mag.com/a-high-school-only-dress-coded-female-students-during-a-heat-wave/