The Student News Site of Centerville Public School

The Coulee Chronicle

Animal Testing. Ethical or Not?

Katie S., Reporter

Around the world, there is a lot controversy surrounding the topic of animal testing in both the scientific and cosmetic industries. Many people and companies are asking the question whether animals should be used for scientific and commercial testing.  

Why do companies use animals in testing for science and cosmetics?

In the world of science and cosmetics, many labs still test on animal subjects. According to an article written for procon.org, “many cures and treatments have been created by using animal test subjects” (Procon).

Animals can suffer many of the same diseases and ailments as humans, such as influenza, heart disease, HIV, and many others; we as humans also share 95% of our genes with animals making them an effective model to the human body says Dr. Barbara Natterson-Horowitz in an interview for ABC News (David Wright, Cole Kazdin, and Lauren Effron). Using animals with these same ailments can provide an effective model of the human body for the labs to use to create new forms of treatments.

Animal testing has created many life-saving treatments.

Blood transfusions were created with the use of animal work. The first successful transfusion was performed in 1666 on a dog. The animals were used to establish the safety of citrated blood. Breast Cancer treatments were also created with the use of animal testing. The antibody treatment Herceptin was able to be developed because of animal testing (The Guardian).

What Laws protect the animals used in lab work?

In the United States, there is a federal law to protect animals. This is called the Animal Welfare Act. The goal of this act was to try and save animals being used in labs from suffering. According to the act, 95% of the animals used in testing are not protected under the act, the most common animals used are rats, mice, birds, fish, and other cold-blooded animals. In the United States under the animal welfare act, these types of animals are not protected. 1,134,693 were used in testing in 2010 and about 25 million of them were uncovered in the US (AVMA).

In the United Kingdom, 97% of the animals used in research are mice, rats, fish, and birds, and less than 0.2% of the animals used are dogs, cats, and primates (Understanding Animal research).  

In Australia, there is truly no set laws against testing on animals. The country is moving forward in trying to produce a set law to protect the research animals (Australian Welfare Strategy).

The Cosmetic Industry.

A cosmetic is defined by the FDA as an article intended to be applied to the human body for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness or altering the appearance without affecting the body’s structure or function.

Some well known cosmetic brands still choose to test on animals such as Benefit, Makeup Forever, Maybelline, and many others. These companies may not be required to test on them but they choose to test their new and existing ingredients on animals such as rats, mice, and guinea pigs. They are testing for things such as skin irritation (Humane Society).

After all of the testing, the animals used were euthanized (Humane Society).

The cosmetic companies may choose to test on animals or other methods. The FDA does not require that cosmetics be tested on animals in the United States (Humane Society).

The Chinese government requires all imported cosmetics to be tested on animals (Humane Society).

Around the world today there is a lot of controversy surrounding the topic of animal testing, whether it should be illegal or not. Even today with all of the technology some cosmetic industries and medical labs still rely on animals testing.   

References

“About Us.” Forty Reasons Why We Need Animals in Research | Understanding Animal Research, www.understandinganimalresearch.org.uk/about-us/science-action-network/forty-reasons-why-we-need-animals-in-research/.

“Animal Testing ProCon.org.” ProConorg Headlines, animal-testing.procon.org/.

www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/endcruelty/changingthelaw/whatwechanged/animalwelfareact+https://www.greenandgrowing.org/pros-cons-animal-testing/..

“Australian Animal Welfare Strategy (AAWS) and National Implementation Plan 2010-14.”Department of Agriculture and Water Resources, www.agriculture.gov.au/animal/welfare/aaws/australian-animal-welfare-strategy-aaws-and-national-implementation-plan-2010-14.

Fact Sheet: Cosmetic Testing.” The Humane Society of the United States, www.humanesociety.org/issues/cosmetic_testing/qa/questions_answers.html.

“12 Ailments Humans And Animals Share.” Mental Floss, 8 May 2015, mentalfloss.com/article/63663/12-ailments-humans-and-animals-share.

Wright, David, and Lauren Effron. “’Zoobiquity’: 7 Diseases Animals Share With Humans.”ABC News, ABC News Network, abcnews.go.com/Health/zoobiquity-diseases-animals-share-humans/story?id=16549555.

Animal Research Saves Lives, www.mofed.org/Animal_Research.htm.

Parry, Vivienne. “What Have Guinea Pigs Ever Done for Us?” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 31 Aug. 2005, www.theguardian.com/science/2005/sep/01/medicalresearch.health.